Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Heads!

Randy spent some time getting his entire head encased in plaster. We won't tell you why, just in case we give anything away ;D but the experience of getting such a custom prop made is super cool!


A few weeks ago I spent several hours at The Tom Savini Make up and Special Effects School in Monessen, Pa. I was having a casting of my head made by the wizards at said school for use in Poor Yorick's upcoming production of Shakespeare's Scottish Tragedy. Encased from my shoulders to the top of my head with plaster, adhesives, alginate, latex, etc., for 30 minutes or so. Good thing I'm not claustrophobic!

The process began with some carefully placed vaseline around my hairline , eyebrows et cetera, to make "removal" of the casting less arduous . The top of my head was covered with a latex cap and attached with a type of surgical glue. The guys then began mixing the gloopy material in a bucket...when it was ready they began to encase me. I was totally "entombed" by the quickly hardening material. Only two small nose openings..so I could breathe! Then the waiting. It was actually quite warm and relaxing...I almost dozed off at a few points. The crew even had to knock on my "head" once because I was so relaxed that I didn't hear them ask me if I was okay ! A quick thumbs up from me and the wait continued. Finally the extrication began and sweet freedom. The casting was removed in two halves and there I was! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks again to Logan Tobia and the whole crew at the school...I had an awesome time!

- Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment