Thursday, July 21, 2011

In the Spotlight: Macbeth





Randy Jeffreys, who plays Macbeth, was kind enough to shed some light onto Macbeth's descent into madness...


What to you do to get into your role?


Randy: Most of all being an adherent of the Mamet approach, I trust the text to give me what I need to find the core and truth of my character. Of course Shakespeare gives you the very best to work off of !


How do you learn your lines?

R
: No real unusual method, I just immerse myself in the script...at home, in the car, at work whenever possible. Rehearsing with a script in my hand is maddening to me, so I strive to be off book as fast as possible.


I truly believe you can't really begin to breathe life into your character until you are free of the script...at least that is how it feels to me.


Favorite thing about your character?


R: The fact that he is at his core a very decent man at the start, and the descent into the darkness is so compelling, and gripping and of course tragic.


What’s your dream (Shakespeare) role?


R: This is it by a large margin.



When do you think Macbeth goes to the 'dark side'?


R: Certainly an argument can be made that it's when he kills Duncan, but I think he feels the most irrevocably lost after Lady M's death. He loses his last tenous grip on the man he once was.


Why do you think he is so easily manipulated by his wife, Lady Macbeth?


R:I don't know if manipulated is quite accurate. He has clearly pondered the path he takes before they openly "discuss" it. Although his love for her does make him open to her desires as well.



Do you think he ever wonders about how and why the witches chose him?


R: I'm not sure. The events happen to him in such a breakneck manner that he may not ever really dwell on that. By the end and of course far too late, he realizes just how badly he has succumbed to their "mis-information".


What do you think is his last thought before the one of woman born ends his existence?


R: Excellent question ! Probably just wondering how it all went so bad , so fast. Just a complete feeling of fury, desolation, and regret...pretty difficult to imagine the enormity of his sense of loss.





Thanks Randy! And again, thanks Dana for fabulous action shots!


No comments:

Post a Comment